Cookies on
Loughborough College
Website
This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies provide you with enhanced functionality and others help us to improve our service by giving us information about how the site is being used. If you continue you will receive all cookies on the Loughborough College website, to select which cookies to receive click settings.

Latest News

• WE HAVE A NEW WEBSITE
  • COLLEGE TO FOLLOW UP RECORD-BREAKING HEALTH FAIR
    ORGANISER Nicola Wells today revealed Loughborough College will be holding follow-up events in 2013 following yesterday’s record-breaking third annual Health and Wellbeing Fair.
  • COLLEGE STUDENTS LEARN ABOUT VALUE OF DISCIPLINE
    LOUGHBOROUGH COLLEGE engineering lecturer Stuart Carroll, took time out to talk to Motor Vehicle students about his passion for taking part in Mixed Martial Arts, through his involvement with the Leicester Shootfighters team.
  • SO MUCH TO LEARN AT LOUGHBOROUGH COLLEGE HEALTH FAIR
    LONDON 2012 bronze medallist Nicola White opened today’s third annual Health and Wellbeing Fair at Loughborough College - then went in search of some tips of her own.

• News Archive

WILKO LOOKING SHARP AS HE CLAIMS BRONZE

December 11th, 2012

JAMES WILKINSON admits he surprised himself by winning a bronze medal in the Under 23 men’s race at the European Cross Country Championships in sub zero Budapest on Saturday.

Having seen his London 2012 hopes scuppered by a persistent foot injury, the 22-year-old Loughborough College tutor believes he is now closer to his top form than he thought going into the race.

Wilkinson finished just 13 seconds behind Norwegian winner Henrik Ingebrightsen with a run that played a major role in Great Britain claiming team bronze.

He said: “The race went far better than I was expecting. I hadn’t done that much training and didn’t think I was where I wanted to be. My foot was 100 per cent after my problems in the summer and the biggest obstacle was the weather.  I wore a hat, gloves and long sleeves as it was well below zero, the coldest conditions I’ve ever raced in.”

Wilkinson, who moved to Loughborough a year ago to improve his sport and joined the College staff as an Elite sports tutor and assessor in the summer, suffered a plantar fascia injury to the bottom of his foot which left him in constant pain

He added: “London 2012 was always going to be a bit soon but the injury ended my chances. I managed to run and come second in the 3000m steeplechase but didn’t achieve the qualifying time.

“Athletes tend to look at each year as one block, so Rio isn’t that far off. I should be at around my peak age in 2016 and see myself competing over 3000m.”

After treating himself to most of the week off after running in Hungary, Wilkinson says he expects to compete in the prestigious Great Britain versus USA versus Europe meeting in Edinburgh on January 5 then either the European Indoor Championships or the World Cross Country Championships in March.

Tags: ,