Cookies on
Loughborough College
Website
This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies provide you with enhanced functionality and others help us to improve our service by giving us information about how the site is being used. If you continue you will receive all cookies on the Loughborough College website, to select which cookies to receive click settings.

Latest News

• WE HAVE A NEW WEBSITE
  • COLLEGE TO FOLLOW UP RECORD-BREAKING HEALTH FAIR
    ORGANISER Nicola Wells today revealed Loughborough College will be holding follow-up events in 2013 following yesterday’s record-breaking third annual Health and Wellbeing Fair.
  • COLLEGE STUDENTS LEARN ABOUT VALUE OF DISCIPLINE
    LOUGHBOROUGH COLLEGE engineering lecturer Stuart Carroll, took time out to talk to Motor Vehicle students about his passion for taking part in Mixed Martial Arts, through his involvement with the Leicester Shootfighters team.
  • SO MUCH TO LEARN AT LOUGHBOROUGH COLLEGE HEALTH FAIR
    LONDON 2012 bronze medallist Nicola White opened today’s third annual Health and Wellbeing Fair at Loughborough College - then went in search of some tips of her own.

• News Archive

YOUNG ACHIEVERS PRIZE WINNER TELLS OF ON STAGE NERVES

December 10th, 2012

Megan Turner admits waiting in full view of the audience at the Leicester Mercury Young Achiever 2012 Awards was not easy – but being announced as Technology Achievement winner helped.

Megan, who completed her BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Engineering at Loughborough College earlier this year with top marks – the highest ever in the subject, said: ”It was horrible and nerve-wracking to have to stand on stage before they told everyone the result.

“It was nice to find out I had been nominated by Richard Miller, my tutor at College, and then I was told I had made it to the finals but even waiting up there for the announcement … you still never, ever think it will be you. When they said my name I was genuinely surprised.”

Megan is now studying Engineering Design at Aston University and her latest prize follows hot on the heels of her winning two national titles, after she was not only named 2012 National BTEC Awards Outstanding BTEC Science and Engineering Student of the Year but was also voted overall National BTEC Awards Outstanding Student of the Year.

“My family were with me at the Young Achievers Awards and were so proud. My grandma gave me a big kiss and my dad, who is an engineer himself, was beaming.

“There is an engineering heritage in our family which goes back to my great great grandfather who was Chief Engineer on Shackleton’s expedition to the South Pole – and as it was visiting Loughborough College when I was still at school and seeing the workshops for the first time that strengthened my resolve to make engineering my future.”

Tags: , , , ,