Cookies on
Loughborough College
Website
This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies provide you with enhanced functionality and others help us to improve our service by giving us information about how the site is being used. If you continue you will receive all cookies on the Loughborough College website, to select which cookies to receive click settings.

Latest News

• WE HAVE A NEW WEBSITE
  • COLLEGE TO FOLLOW UP RECORD-BREAKING HEALTH FAIR
    ORGANISER Nicola Wells today revealed Loughborough College will be holding follow-up events in 2013 following yesterday’s record-breaking third annual Health and Wellbeing Fair.
  • COLLEGE STUDENTS LEARN ABOUT VALUE OF DISCIPLINE
    LOUGHBOROUGH COLLEGE engineering lecturer Stuart Carroll, took time out to talk to Motor Vehicle students about his passion for taking part in Mixed Martial Arts, through his involvement with the Leicester Shootfighters team.
  • SO MUCH TO LEARN AT LOUGHBOROUGH COLLEGE HEALTH FAIR
    LONDON 2012 bronze medallist Nicola White opened today’s third annual Health and Wellbeing Fair at Loughborough College - then went in search of some tips of her own.

• News Archive

STANDING OVATION AS COLLEGE STUDENT RECEIVES SURPRISE AWARD

November 27th, 2012

Loughborough College student and Olympic medallist Nicola White admits she was overwhelmed by the reaction of guests at the Pride of Loughborough Awards when it was announced there was to be a special prize honouring her achievements in this summer’s Games.

“I couldn’t believe it when everyone wasn’t only clapping but they were also getting to their feet as I made my way to the stage. It was so special to see that and to be presented with an award for doing the thing I love,” said Nicola, on the right of this picture, who won bronze as part of the GB Women’s Hockey team.

In her final year of her BSc in Applied Sports Science and mentor at Loughborough College’s unique Elite Athlete Performance Centre Nicola added, “I could not have done any of it without Loughborough College’s support and I am so grateful for that. The College’s students and former students played a massive part in the Games and it is obviously great to see that recognized.
    “The minute the Olympics were mentioned you could feel the buzz. That spirit is still there. I feel honoured to be an Olympian, to have achieved my dream. I haven’t come down from the high of it all. It is brilliant.”

It was a bumper night for Loughborough College with students Amy Turlington and Kellie Chetwynd also winning Carer of the Year and Student of the Year respectively. Nicola’s team mate Laura Unsworth (pictured left) was also honoured with a special award.

Oak FM’s Pride of Loughborough Awards were hosted by the station’s Ian Ison and Mark Rowley and were sponsored by East Midlands Airport.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,