Cookies on
Loughborough College
Website
This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies provide you with enhanced functionality and others help us to improve our service by giving us information about how the site is being used. If you continue you will receive all cookies on the Loughborough College website, to select which cookies to receive click settings.

Latest News

• WE HAVE A NEW WEBSITE
  • COLLEGE TO FOLLOW UP RECORD-BREAKING HEALTH FAIR
    ORGANISER Nicola Wells today revealed Loughborough College will be holding follow-up events in 2013 following yesterday’s record-breaking third annual Health and Wellbeing Fair.
  • COLLEGE STUDENTS LEARN ABOUT VALUE OF DISCIPLINE
    LOUGHBOROUGH COLLEGE engineering lecturer Stuart Carroll, took time out to talk to Motor Vehicle students about his passion for taking part in Mixed Martial Arts, through his involvement with the Leicester Shootfighters team.
  • SO MUCH TO LEARN AT LOUGHBOROUGH COLLEGE HEALTH FAIR
    LONDON 2012 bronze medallist Nicola White opened today’s third annual Health and Wellbeing Fair at Loughborough College - then went in search of some tips of her own.

• News Archive

COLLEGE SUCCESS MAY SHAPE SWIMMER’S FUTURE

November 27th, 2012

WHILST Loughborough College students past and present picked up a magnificent five medals at London 2012, potentially the biggest event of her life proved to be a personal nightmare for 24-year-old Irish swimmer Melanie Nocher.

She faced media criticism after finishing seventh in her 200m backstroke heat after swimming almost six seconds slower than her personal best.

Now Melanie, who successfully completed qualifications in personal training and fitness instruction at Loughborough College earlier this year, explained she caught a bug just a few days before her big race and lost 5kg in weight.

The swimmer, who qualified for her second Olympic Games after an heroic swim with just weeks to spare, was sick again just minutes afterwards and upset to be slammed by journalists for not speaking with them.

“I’ve been interviewed by these journalists for ten years, they know me. I always speak to the media no matter how good or bad I swim,” says Nocher.

Still taking time to decide her swimming future, Nocher says she is now over the media upset but not her miserable experience at London 2012.

“I don’t know if I’ll ever get over it. I’d spent so much of my life trying to get there and then for me to be sick it seemed so unfair,” she said.

She is reluctant to commit herself to another four years of training without any guarantee of success in Rio in 2016.

One possibility is that Nocher will try to get her first job, putting the qualifications she has gained at Loughborough College to immediate use.

Tags: , ,